Support The Club Without Signing Your Life Away
The RMHUC is run by volunteers. How about pitching in to do just one thing?
Here are some ideas:
- Collect Event RSVPs.
- Greet and check in guests - a great way to meet everyone who attends!
- Help the organizers by shopping for or providing refreshments. (This does not have to be a financial commitment; just a trip to the store and delivery to the event.)
- Help with set-up and/or clean-up.
- Take photographs for our Web site.
- Write a brief review of the event for our Web site.
- Host one of our annual events such as the Summer Barbecue or the Winter Holiday Party (~50-100 people).
- Host a smaller event such as a speaker or panel discussion (~15-50 people).
Help Create or Organize an Event
- Organize a “Cheap Eats” group meal: Find a resonably-priced, interesting restaurant, ask them to suggest a day/time when business is otherwise slow (e.g. 3PM Sunday), and tell them you’d like to invite members of the local Harvard community and their families to gather for a meal. Tell us your plan, and we will handle the publicity! You might also encourage the owner to talk about the restaurant or its cuisine if there’s an interesting story to tell or to otherwise make a good impression with a good deal or a special menu.
- Organize a hike or a ski day.
- Connected with a performing arts / museum / gallery / cultural institution in Colorado? Or would you like an excuse to be? Keep an eye out for Harvard-related or interesting stuff not generally available to the public around which a Club event could be organized.
- Introduce the Club to a local non-profit organization to discuss a community service event.
- Help us identify potential speakers with Harvard connections.
- Recommend a Harvard faculty member for a visit to the Club.
- Work in a cool lab or other interesting environment? Host a tour!
- Alert us to good venues for a variety of events.
Support the Club's Communications & Membership
- Reach out on behalf of the Club to new arrivals to Colorado to invite them to join the Club.
- Contact new members to help them learn more about the Club.
- Contact members whose memberships are about to lapse and encourage them to renew.
- Make phone calls prior to an event to generate interest and attendance.
- Contriubute writing or production help to the Club newsletter.
- Write an article for the Web site.
Help with Harvard College Applicant Interviews
- Interviewers are particularly needed to interview outside the Denver / Boulder area.
- Help with major interview events in January and February.
Contribute to our Summer Student Fellowship Program
- Help line up prospective job opportunities.
- Mentor a student during the ten-week program.
- Assist with and/or host an evening or weekend event for the students.
Share your Specialized Skills and Interests
Connect with the Club and Other Local Harvard Alums Via Social Media
- Join the Rocky Mountain Harvard University Club group on LinkedIn.
- Like the Rocky Mountain Harvard University Club Facebook page.
- Post Harvard-related news and events to our Facebook page (any member can do so.)
- Join the conversation on Twitter @rmhuc.
Better yet: Come up with your own great idea. The possibilities are endless!
Of course, if you really would like to sign your life away, or at least support the Club with a financial contribution, we're quite okay with that, too.
To get involved, send your thoughts to the Club's president, Fred Ris.